National Theatre Wales’ and Quarantine’s extraordinary new show invites its audience into a conversation about language with performer Jonny Cotsen – a performance built out of a fascination with what happens when we try to talk about how to live together. It’s inspired by the theatricality of language lessons, and discussions with migrants who learn English for all kinds of reasons. For business, for pleasure, for survival, to take part, to pass the test…
This exuberant A to Z of language and identity - made in Wales, but with a global perspective - pulls pop songs apart, tears grammar to pieces and invites all the languages in the room to be heard. A joyous, intimate, provocative encounter, English asks how language shapes us all and what happens to our sense of self when we don’t really know how to say who we are.
Age Guidance: 14+
BSL interpreted performances 16 June 7pm; 23 June 2pm: Interpreter: Tony Evans.
Information for Audiences:
- Doors to the venue will open 15 minutes prior to the performance starting. That is, 6.45pm for evening performances and 1.45pm for matinees
- Pre-purchased and print-at-home tickets can be collected from front of house staff in the foyer of the Dance House from 15 minutes prior to the performance
- Any unsold tickets will be available to buy from the Wales Millennium Centre (WMC) ticket office until just prior to the performance start time
- The performance space within the Dance House is a short walk around the corner from the main entrance foyer of the WMC. There will be staff on hand to assist you and signage to guide you to the Dance House entrance
- There is no cafe or bar within the Dance House itself, but there are several within the WMC and a short walk away at Mermaid Quay. Please note though that no drinks (except bottled water) are permitted in the performance space
- Please arrive promptly as latecomers are not admitted
- Seating is unreserved
- The running time is approximately 90 minutes with no interval
- No photography or recording of the performance is permitted
- Please put mobile devices on silent mode before the performance starts
- We hope you enjoy the performance, please tell us what you thought - @NTWtweets